Thursday, July 2, 2015

Steinbeck doesn't ♥ submarines

I wish I could like submarines, for then I might find them beautiful, but they are designed for destruction, and while they may explore and chart the sea bottom, and draw new trade lines under the Arctic ice, their main purpose is threat. And I remember too well crossing the Atlantic on a troop ship and knowing that somewhere on the way the dark things lurked searching for us with their single-stalk eyes. Somehow the light goes bleak for me when I see them and remember burned men pulled from the oil slicked sea. And now submarines are armed with mass murder, our silly, only way of deterring mass murder.
John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley in Search of America  (New York: Penguin Books, 1986), p. 21 (orig. published 1962)

No comments:

Post a Comment