Sunday, May 31, 2020

You can have your gender

Perhaps we should pause here for a moment and clarify something that I'm often asked about and that seems to be a point of grave misunderstanding. I don't want to take away your gender. I don't want to abolish gender roles, or even gender rules. I do want to abolish gender assumptions, and therein lies the most exciting part of my identity: I am a metaphor. I am not a metaphor for how "you too can be genderfluid." If you aren't inherently fluid, I would never suggest that you try to be or you pretend to be. I'm a metaphor for being free, for a grander ideal. I am a walking, breathing representation of the fruits of self-acceptance.
Jeffrey Marsh, "Life Threats," in Micah Rajunov & Scott Duane eds., Nonbinary: Memoirs of Gender and Identity (New York: Columbia University Press, 2019), p. 76

No comments:

Post a Comment